Monday, June 25, 2012

I may have outdone myself.*


Last we met, I mentioned I picked up some more Rainier cherries from a roadside stand near my office.  I expected that I would be making another batch of the refreshing sorbet with them, but got severely delayed and decided to get wild and try something new.

I guess I’d like to call this “Cherry Bomb,” because that's the earworm that I found popped into my head as I pitted more cherries, but that might be exaggerating the cherry flavor actually in this. But it’s good. Real good.

2 cups pitted Rainier cherries
2 Tbsp local raw honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 can coconut milk (the full fat variety)

Place all ingredients in a blender (or food processor). Blend.  Ready your ice cream maker.  Pour the mixture into your maker and process according to manufacturer’s directions for ice cream (at least that’s essentially what I did*).  Place in freezer to set up. 

Makes 1 quart plus a half pint.

Now, I’m a novice at the making of the homemade ice creams (this being only my second foray with my Kitchen Aid attachment), but I noticed that most ice cream recipes call for the ice cream base to be well chilled before processing. My mixture was basically room temperature when I churned it, so it could have taken longer for that fact alone. But I just kept an eye on it until it looked about right. Maybe it would work faster with a chilled mixture, but I can neither wait that long, nor plan that far ahead.

So I’m not really sure how to classify this. It’s not as creamy as ice cream, but it is creamier than sorbet (although I’ve never tried a commercial coconut sorbet in order to compare). But it’s relatively icy and delicious.  Fella far preferred this to the previous sorbet, although I like them equally.

No pretty pictures to share this time. We (and by that I mean mostly I) have been eating it straight from the container I froze it in. Keepin' it real, yo.

I’m looking forward to making this again with strawberries and now that the scent from my afternoon snack is wafting up at me from my desk, peaches!

*I thought about revising this statement after writing it, but when I sat down at the computer to eat and post this, I could not deny that I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment